Monday, April 15, 2019

AMX is now a Texas Hot Rod -

1500 miles later in a closed car carrier, Elle, our 69 AMC AMX arrived in Austin, TX.    I had her delivered to my friends house up in Round Rock about 100 miles away from her home so the journey wasn't over.

I picked her up about 1:30 in the afternoon to miss the drive time traffic.  60 miles a trek for a 50 year old hot rod with a tired engine and a bit of wiring work.   I gassed her up and hit the freeway.   My top speed was 60 mph down the one Mopak, I was pushing it hard based on the combo engine/tranny issue.   Being a 4 speed card with I think 3:43 gears, getting to the top end really is a tough one.

As I drown slowly down the freeway in the slow lane, the alternate light keep flashing on and off.  My mind was racing, what now?    Frankly, I was thinking I must of shaken something look based on the vibration the big 390 engine put out.   I pulled over, opened up the tool kit in the truck and tightened everything that looked loose.    Back on the road in less than 10 minutes.
69 amc amx

Everything was fine for a while, then the alternator light started flashing getting bright then dim.   Bad regular or a short maybe, bad alternator?

I didn't stop and made it home in a heighten state of distress.   Now that she is here, I'll start looking for parts.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment